Water Water Everywhere, but not a Drop of Drink
Columbia University was founded as King’s College in 1754, but classes were suspended from 1776 to 1784, for some nonsense about a war going on, when it reopened as Columbia College, changing its name for hopefully apparent reasons. It moved around to several different campuses on Manhattan until 1857 to what was the deaf and dumb asylum, where it remained until the 1890s. In 1896 the school was renamed Columbia University and in 1897 the Morningside Height’s Campus opened.(source)
By the 1920s various schools at the university admitted women, although not all did. (source) The asociated women’s college is Banard founded in 1889. It moved to a campus in Morningside Heights in 1898 (source).
Columbia University did not have on campus dormitory style housing, until lately, and even then it is not encouraged. Students are encouraged to find housing in the city.